Renewable Resources Councils are a primary instrument for local renewable resources management as set out in the final agreements. Each Renewable Resources Council, acting in the public interest and consistent with their Final Agreement may make recommendations to the Minister, the affected Yukon First Nation, the Fish and Wildlife Management Board and the Salmon Sub-Committee on any matter related to conservation of fish and wildlife. Each Renewable Resources Council makes provisions for public involvement in the development of its decisions and its recommendations.
The Council’s jurisdiction is the First Nation of Nacho Nyak Dun Traditional Territory which includes the communities of Mayo, Stewart Crossing, Elsa, and Keno City.
- Authority: First Nation of Nacho Nyak Dun Final Agreement, Chapter 2.12.0 and 16.6
- Type: advisory
- Appointment process: ministerial
- Requirements: All nominees to the Council, except nominees of the Tetlit Gwich’in, will have lived in the First Nation of Nacho Nyak Dun Traditional Territory for at least 1 year immediately prior to their appointment, and will have long term familiarity with renewable resources in the Traditional Territory of the First Nation of Nacho Nyak Dun. A Council member may reside temporarily outside of the Traditional Territory of the First Nation of Nacho Nyak Dun if doing work or studies related to the functions of the Council.
- Term: 5 years
- Meetings: first and third Mondays of each month at 7:30 p.m.
- Department: Environment
- Honoraria: $125 per day
- Dawna Hope, First Nations member, December 12, 2019, to December 11, 2024
- Edwin Johnson, Government of Yukon member from April 1, 2020, to March 31, 2025
- Frank Patterson, First Nations member from December 12, 2019, to March 31, 2023
- Jacqueline Clark, First Nations alternate member from December 18, 2018, to March 31, 2023
- Joella Hogan, Government of Yukon member from June 19, 2019, to June 18, 2024
- Mikolay Peter, First nations member from December 18, 2018, to December 17, 2023, and chair from October 10, 2019, to March 31, 2020
Mayo District RRC